MS Nordlys Activities & Services
Cruise Line: Hurtigruten
Activities & Services
Each Hurtigruten ship has something unique to offer. Despite their differences, they all provide the same intimate travel experience, with their own informal atmosphere. Comfortable lounges and ample deck space afford perfect views as you glide through some of the world's most beautiful and untouched coastal scenery.
It is not common practice to tip on Hurtigruten ships on the coastal voyage, but if a guest feels that crew members should be rewarded for providing exceptional service, tip boxes and envelopes can be found in the restaurant.
- Conference Room/Conference Center
- Internet Café There is an internet café onboard. Wireless access is available in most public areas for use with guests' laptops or mobile devices. Please note that the bandwidth is narrow and reception intermittent.
- Educational/Enrichment Programs As a part of Hurtigruten’s seasonal product concepts, they offer some interesting onboard activities, demonstrations, and presentations during the voyages. The activities, which take place both inside the vessels and outside on deck, have relevance to the season they are sailing in. It is up to the guest to join and the activities will be announced in the day-to-day programs or announced on board.
- Evening Entertainment The emphasis on board is on relaxation and getting away from the commercial entertainment which is so often a part of conventional cruises. Hurtigruten's aim is to get closer to unique environments and share the experience with fellow passengers.
- Boutique(s) (duty-free) There is an onboard shop selling souvenirs, knitwear, books, postcards, postage stamps, and a limited supply of toiletries.
- Communications Private mobile telephones may be used on board although reception may vary. Check with your provider for costs when using your phone abroad.
- Self-Service Laundromat Laundry rooms with washing machines, dryers, and irons are available onboard. Tokens can be purchased at reception.
- Fitness Room
- Café/Coffee Bar Hot and cold drinks and snacks may be purchased in the cafeteria, usually open 24 hours a day. During the winter, times are advised on board.
- Meals Onboard All onboard meals are comprised of Norwegian cuisine. The usual meals and seating times are as follows:
- Breakfast - Open seating from 7:30am to 10am
- Buffet style with a selection of cold meats, cheese, eggs, cereals and fruit.
- Lunch - Open seating from Noon/1pm
- Lunch is the famous cold table with a choice of fish dishes, cold meats, salads, a selection of hot dishes, desserts and fruit. Occasionally a cold table may be served.
- Dinner - Assigned seating from 6:30pm/7pm
- Dinner is a three-course set meal, please note there is not usually a choice of menu. Occasionally a cold table may be served.
On the evening of departure day from Bergen a buffet dinner with open seating is served. Table assignment information for the remainder of the voyage can be found in the information envelope provided at check-in. During busy periods, there may be two seatings, and times will be shown on board. Full board begins with a buffet dinner on departure from Bergen and ends with brunch on the arrival day back in Bergen.
All vessels are fully licensed and prices on board are the same as in mainland Norway.
Please note that tap water is not available in the restaurant, although still and sparkling mineral water - as well as soft drinks, wine and coffee/tea - is available for purchase. Tap water is available in the café and the bar area. Wine packages are also available for purchase and include one bottle of the ship’s purified water every day.