Cafe de La Paix
InterContinental Paris Le Grand's mythic restaurant Cafe de la Paix was inaugurated in May 1862 reflecting the second Empire style with its adorned ceilings reflects the real essence of French gastronomy. It is known around the world as one of Paris iconic places. The Café de la Paix will close its doors for renovation from 18 March 2020 for a period of 9 months and will reopen mid-December. Its restoration has been entrusted to the interior designer Pierre-Yves Rochon, with the mission of preserving the soul and heritage of your Parisian institution while adding a touch of modernity. During this period of embellishment, you will find the signature dishes of the Café de la Paix as well as the new culinary creations of Chef Laurent André and Pastry Chef Sophie de Bernardi under the recently renovated glass roof of the Grand Hotel (La Verrière).
Our Head Concierge's suggestions for local restaurants
There are many restaurant options in Paris. Here are some of local suggestions of Philippe Lesigne, our Head Concierge where you can enjoy a true Parisian atmosphere.
The below recommendations are within walking distance from the Opera district. Please make sure to contact Philippe for reservations at firstname.lastname@example.org !
Other than Le Café de la Paix, the hotel restaurant offering a traditional and refined French cuisine with seafood being one of its specialities:
- Intimate restaurant of 14 seats located by the Palais Royal at 10-15 minutes walk from the hotel. The chef Edouard serves you and prepare your courses in an artistic way and offers you a very unique French, inventive and molecular cuisine. Open for dinner from Tuesday to Saturday.
- Drouant : A pretty restaurant located at Place Gaillon (10 minutes walking from the hotel), recently taken over by the famous Alsacian chef Antoine Westermann. The setting is traditional and smart.
- Fontaine Gaillon : Located in the centre of Paris between the Opéra and the Palais Royal, it serves a fine cuisine with an emphasis on fish dishes. The restaurant is air-conditioned, but on warm days, lunch and dinner are also served on the green terrace, where you can enjoy the sun and the sounds of water gently lapping in the historic Fountain d’Antin.
- Pré Catelan : This very charming Napoleon III mansion, located in the heart of the Bois de Boulogne, offers a cuisine seemingly classic and simple but nevertheless creative. 3 stars from the Michelin guide.
- La Truffière : Nice gourmet restaurant under a vaulted cellar, the dining room and sitting room with its own fireplace are the ideal setting for a romantic dinner. The menu includes the traditional dishes of South West of France and many other specialties that will delight you. An impressive wine list and many fine old brandies. A very attractive seventeenth century house in the heart of Paris.
- Yachts de Paris : The gastronomic cruise on board the Don Juan II is an exceptional evening experience. All those who love Paris can rediscover the most beautiful avenue in the world in a plush atmosphere of elegant service and cuisine. This gourmet menu is the work of Jean-Pierre Vigato, a famous chef in Paris.
- Flottes: This local French brasserie is located near the Concorde Square and the Rue Rivoli (10 minutes walking distance from the hotel). It is set in a beautiful stained glass windows and woodwork setting. The cuisine is traditional & French, with some specialities of Aveyron (South West France). Open everyday.
- Royal Madeleine : A typical Parisian Bistro, chic and warm, very close to the Madeleine. The atmosphere is very 1900’s and the restaurant proposes dishes of great refinement, slowly cooked with the best seasonal products available: Foie gras cooked in sea salt, Frogs legs provincial style, and the traditional dessert, Profiteroles in a real chocolate sauce.
- Le Petit Riche: A lovely French restaurant decorated with large mirrors, copper bars and red velvet benches. It is located within 10 minutes walking distance from the hotel, near to the Haussmann Boulevard and serves a traditional French cuisine with some specialities from the Loire Valley. Closed on Sunday.
- Le Grand Café Capucines: Located on the Boulevard, on the other side of the Opera Square (5 minutes walking distance from the hotel), the brasserie “Belle Epoque” offers an inventive French cuisine, with seafood specialities. Open everyday and 24 hours.
- Le Taste Monde: At 30 metres from the Place of the Madeleine and very close to the Concorde Square, enjoy an incomparable moment and a special dinner visiting the world through vintages unceasingly more astonishing, tasty and rich person of the expression of their soil. Closed on Saturday for lunch, on Sunday and on Monday.
- Passy Mandarin: Elegant and tasty Chinese restaurant near the Opera Square, at 5 minutes walking distance from the hotel, within a refined and traditional setting you can taste the authentic specialities of China. Closed on Saturday for lunch.
The Café de la Paix will close its doors for renovation from 18 March 2020 for a period of 9 months and will reopen mid-December. Its restoration has been entrusted to the interior designer Pierre-Yves Rochon, with the mission of preserving the soul and heritage of your Parisian institution while adding a touch of modernity. During this period of embellishment, you will find the signature dishes of the Café de la Paix as well as the new culinary creations of Chef Laurent André and Pastry Chef Sophie de Bernardi under the recently renovated glass roof of the Grand Hotel (La Verrière).